March 29

The Zookeeper’s Wife

The Zookeeper’s Wife. That is an interesting title for a book. But it’s a title that has much more meaning to it than meets the eye.

The Zookeeper’s Wife by Diane Ackerman is the true story of zookeepers Jan and Antonina Żabiński. When Germany invaded Poland during WWII, the Luftwaffe bombers destroyed Warsaw and the city’s zoo. With most of the animals killed, or taken (stolen) away to the Berlin Zoo, the couple decided to start hiding Jews in the once full cages. As the war continued, Jan became more involved in the anti-Nazi Resistance or otherwise known as the Underground. He helped by burying ammunition in the elephant enclosure and by hiding exsplosives in the animal hospital. He also helped plan and prepare for what would become known as the Warsaw Uprising. Even though she lived in constant fear of being discovered, Antonina had to keep her household afloat, caring for both its human and animal guests, as Europe crumbled around them.

I thought that this book was a really good book. I liked it a lot. I thought that it was very well written. The story of Jan and Antonina is an untold story. It’s one of those stories that had an incredible impact on the lives of the people they helped but was forgotten in the pages of history. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes reading inspiring stories. I would also recommend this book to anyone who likes history. Overall, I thought that it was a great book and I think that the story of Jan and Antonina Żabiński should not be forgotten.

Posted March 29, 2017 by annaglca in category Uncategorized